The 65 to 90 (depending on which ferry Puntarenas) minutes Fairy boat ride across the Gulf of Nicoya is a breathtaking and scenic trip with great views of the Nicoya peninsula, Along the way you will pass by some small islands only inhabited by lush vegetation and colonies of maritime birds.
The ferry tambor 1 and the ferry tambor 2 are both equiped with bathrooms and open deck snack and cocktail bar. So grab an imperial (popular Costa Rican beer brand) and enjoy the ride
In Puntarenas the ferry Puntarenas dock is located at the tip of Puntarenas, about 2 kilometros from the center. See: Map of Puntarenas (note: Costa Rica Fairy times can change during seasons or due to the Costa Rica weather so double check the times, Tel. 2661-2084
Ferry Paquera Schedule, the Southern Region:
(Ferry Tambor, Montezuma, Mal Pais, Santa Teresa, Manzanillo)
Puntarenas to Paquera
Paquera to Puntarenas
August 3, 2011 – November
Attention Costa Rica Public Bus Travelers:
The 5:00 p.m. ferry from Puntarenas is the final one that connects to the public bus via Montezuma, Mal Pais and Santa Teresa. If you catch a later ferryboat you will need to hitch a ride or take a taxi which costs around $50-$55.
Catch the ferry at 5:00 p.m. for a memorable scenic
sunset trip across the Gulf of Nicoya
Driving a Car on the Ferry:
A regular car with driver included costs approximately $15 dollars and Only the driver may stay in the car when boarding the ferry, all other passengers will need to purchase a separate ticket and board on foot. An adult ferry ticket costs around $ 1.40
during the high season, especially Christmas, New Year and Easter there may be a long line so arriving at least 40 minutes early is recommended. In the case you have to wait for the next fairy there are some snack shops and bar/restaurant there to help pass the time
It is first come first serve, no reservations.
Driving Distances from the ferry in Paquera to
Tambor: 25 km
Montezuma: 49 km
Mal Pais and Santa Teresa: 59 km
Be prepared: The roads on the Southern Nicoya Peninsula, Province of Puntarenas, are only single lanes, winding and full of pot holes, so please drive with caution especially at night.
Ferry Naranjo boat to the Northern Region:
(Coyote, Samara, Nicoya, Nosara)
Puntarenas to Naranjo
Naranjo to Puntarenas
Ferry Puntarenas recap traveling tips
- Tickets can only be bought at the ticket office of the Paquera Ferry.
- Do not buy tickets from people on the street.
- Ferry schedules are subject to changes; it is recommended to verify departure times by telephone in advance Tel. 2661-2084
- Never ever leave your bags or luggage unattended.
- Only the driver is allowed to stay in the car to drive on to the ferry, other passengers must board by foot.
- During High Season arrival is recommended 2hrs before ferry departure time.
- Try not o leave you car unattended in line,
- Do not leave any visible valuables in the car such as (Ipods, cameras, laptops, etc.).
- The waiting time in the vehicle line may vary from one to two hours; the waiting time could be longer during holidays.
- You can only pay for your ferry tickets with cash. Credit cards are not accepted.